What to expect from Seed G18

Blog, Chilean Scene, Community, News, Seed

We have just welcomed Generation 17 of Start-Up Chile entrepreneurs in Santiago, however we have also been busy finalizing the application process for Seed Generation 18. Once more the cohort is diverse representing a range of industries, geography and stages of development.

After a three-week application process, applications for G18 closed on the 10th of February. Successful applicants will be welcomed in July of 2017 to commence their 6-month acceleration experience.

Half of applicants startups have a B2B business model, with B2C following close behind at 40%. A third of applicants currently have a functional product while the remaining applicants range from ideation, pivoting and scale.

For many applicants, this will be their first time receiving funding as many claimed that until now they have bootstrapped their ventures. However, a smaller cohort have received significant funding ranging from private investors to venture capital.

The gender divide of applicants is similar to G17, female applicants account for 22% of the cohort while males account for the remainder at 78%. This is the highest amount of female applicants to the Seed program.

Information and communication technologies represent the largest industry that startups identified with, followed closely by education, health and tourism.

Experience and support levels vary, many applicants have been part of other international accelerator programs such as 500 Startups, Techstars and Y Combinator as well as domestic programs such as Endeavour and Latin American programs, Start-up Brazil and Start-up Peru.

16% of applicants have participated in Start-Up Chile’s pre-accelerator program, The S Factory.

Chilean applicants made up most of the cohort at 50%, second was the United States and Brazil a close third.

Of the Chilean universities, most applicants are alumni or current students of Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, Universidad de Chile and Federico Santa María Technical University.

Applicants hail from some of the most highly ranked universities in the world including, Oxford University, London School of Economics, Princeton, Colombia, Stanford and Harvard University

Results for Generation 18 will be published in May. We look forward to hosting you.